Friday, February 01, 2008

360 Comes to Life...

I have long been an avid gamer. Starting from the days of playing Tetris on a local made ‘video game’; to spending innumerable summer vacations and late nights glued to my PC; to console gaming on the XBOX 360 today. When I first got the 360, it was because I was tired of staring at amazing game titles in stores, only to find out my 2 year old laptop had absolutely no chance of supporting them. And since I don’t use the laptop for much it did not justify spending a couple grand or more on a gaming machine.
So the 360 it was. And I was real glad to be able to play all the latest games on my 20” CRT television. I did have a little difficulty reading some of the font but the overall experience was great. Till now.
What changed was I gifted myself a 32” Sony Hi-Definition LCD television. After getting it home and fiddling around with the wiring and setup, I switched it on and just sat staring at how good it looked. And then I connected the 360, changed the settings to HDMI, adjusted the screen size and such other technicalities and finally inserted the NFS Most Wanted disc. And it started with a display that said, ‘EA HD’. And suddenly I felt like I had stumbled upon a portal that leads to this parallel universe. That only select people have had the privilege to access. All of a sudden there were sharper textures, crisp graphics and an unreal sense of reality! Everything looked so different that I began to wonder whether it was the same game I had already played. For the first time, I actually paused the race to admire the scenery! And about 5 minutes into my first race I had goose pimples all over. It may sound overtly exaggerated but I was actually staring open mouthed at the screen. The transition from a SD tube TV to a HD LCD TV is almost equivalent to a person used to the silent movie era getting a glimpse of the Matrix. Yes, it is that good!
I’m not promoting products here, but for all gamers out there, the 360-HD combination is something that I would recommend you save up for and spoil yourself with. I’m sure there will be a point when you will sigh and sit back with a silly grin on your face that just won’t go away. And just that one moment makes it all worth it!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger J@$m!ne said...

Silent movies... to a glimpse of the Matrix.. to being in the Matrix? I think the future of gaming is really something to look forward to.. It's stuff like this that makes you respect technology so much :)

2/05/2008 9:11 pm  
Blogger Samyak said...

Dude, what a coincidence of contrasts. I just got rid of my TV (cable to be more precise). Just that I never bothered to buy a new one.

And as you take a glance into the future, I've been turning back the clock. Been downloading and feasting myself on old classics.

But will definitely consider the combo when the cash flow improves (starts again to be precise).

2/08/2008 8:07 am  
Blogger EQUINOX said...

@ J@$m!ne: I love technology!!

@Samyak: Enjoy the classics. And I'm sure the combo will come your way someday!

2/09/2008 8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home